CLEAN HANDS, PURE HEART

3 minutes read


I started to type, and then I realized I don't have the exact words to convey my thoughts to you. I'm going to have to find the words regardless, and I know I can, because this is something that is very dear to me, and I have struggled with quite a lot. The first time I realized I had clean hands, but not a pure heart, I felt really sad. I couldn't understand it. I couldn't understand why I'd imagine myself doing things I had never done, and hoped to God that I'd never do. That went on for a while, and I was really irritated by it, until a particular Sunday. The preacher at church encouraged us to speak to our leaders about the things we struggle with, because it was necessary for our freedom. At this point I was simply tired and wanted to stop having those thoughts, so I waited after service and went to see a counsellor. I did not understand at the time, but he was asking questions relating to the things I take in. He wanted to know if I looked at explicit images, or read books that created explicit images in my mind. When the session was done, he left me with an assignment that I would never forget in my life, and honestly, I still sometimes do.

Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.
-James 5:16 (NLT)

He told me to recite 'I have the mind of Christ' non-stop. The way he explained it, I was not to allow a moment where I'm not saying that to myself, out loud that is. I was only excused when I could not be talking to myself. A situation when I'm in class, or in a conversation, or something. You know as I type this now, I'm realizing that he simply didn't want a moment where my mind was blank. 

Do you feel lonely? Read this

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- Philippians 4:8

Tired as I was of the thoughts, I took that assignment personal, and honestly, I can't even place the moment I stopped struggling with those impure thoughts, but they went away. I remember I would pray, and quote more scriptures that taught me control over my mind. The assignment was from a verse of the Bible in I Corinthians 2: 16 (Read it!)

Custom made mug from @themusingsofagodgirl on Instagram
99.99 out of 100 times, our journey of purity starts in our minds. 99 out of 100 times, pure heart equals clean hands, and 100 out of 100 times, impure heart left unchecked would always lead to dirty hands. So the question, are clean hands enough? Is the fact that I am not engaging in any physical act of impurity enough to attain PURITY? Is it okay if I let my mind wander off a few times, so long as I'm not actually doing anything? And if I already have unclean hands and sincerely want to be done with that way of living, what role does the state of my heart play in it? 

Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?
He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
-Psalm 24:3-4

This month we are all about our journey of purity, and all the mess that is hidden behind the couch. Unity of Purpose fam, its time to look behind the couch, or under the bed, or wherever else we stuff the dirt to give the appearance of a clean room, and CLEAN OUT THE MESS. We do not just want the appearance of living pure lives. We want to be indeed pure. We want a habitable home for our Father in our hearts.


Join us in our study this month on Clean hands, Pure heart. Participate in all Bible study activities, Q&A, and our interactive session on the 31st of July 2021 at 7pm.

Till next time, stay thriving and trusting!

Please share this post with a friend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wait: Why am I waiting?

TO THE STRUGGLING CHRISTIAN

UNRAVELING THE ONE- A CHAT WITH DR. FEMI OSUNLUSI