The Wait: Why am I waiting?

They that wait upon the Lord, shall Renew their strength

- Isaiah 40:31

Different things make up the 'Waiting' season for different people. Precious shares her journey with Unity of Purpose. Keep reading to see her experience.

Unity of Purpose: Hi Precious, what is Purpose to you?

Precious: Purpose is living the intent of God on earth. Doing all things with the consciousness of bringing glory to God.

Unity of Purpose: Tell Unity of Purpose your idea of a dating/marital relationship

Precious: I belief relationship should be enjoyed and not endured, two people working to bring out the best in each other.

Unity of Purpose: Please share your story with us

The dream of any girl is to marry a tall, dark and handsome good man, as was my dream too. However being good is a relative term in human dictionary, and because God knows us, He knows what we need to complement us and bring out the best in us. As we know, a relationship can make or mar you.

Back in the university I was in and out of relationships in quest for the right one, but whenever I prayed, there was no peace about any of them. I spoke to my spiritual mentor and he told me God said he will show me in my dream, as that is how God speaks to me. At the time, I was in part two and nothing happened till I finished part five, and went for my service (NYSC).

If I say I wasn't worried or pressured, I will be lying. But I was running with a word I had received from God. BTW, we (millennial Christians) think we have it all covered but we neglect spiritual mentorship. It is a valid system of guidance and the Bible says in the multitude of counsel there is safety. 

During my service year, in a dream, God showed me this short man and gave me his name. I told God "you know I don't like short guys". To cut the long story short, I am happily married to 'the short guy' and I have found out that I am a better person than the person I was when I met him.

Challenges will definitely come, but when you obey God it gives you a confidence and an assurance of His presence and since He is our maker, we can be sure that everything will work out for our good.


How did you handle all those years of waiting?

I must confess, waiting isn't always easy, but the sad truth I found out is that we all wait anyways. We might feel we are moving, note, moving, not progressing, by choosing in our own ways, but we find out eventually that if we want true progress, we wait for his timing. I dated a guy for few months during that period, but it turned out he was cheating, so we eventually broke up.

Read this: The ideas of other believers on The Wait

After God showed him (your husband) to you, what did you do next?

I was not happy because he didn't quite fit what I had written down, I couldn't bring myself to pray. After a while, I called my spiritual mentor ( This wasn't the one that had earlier told me that I would have a dream when the time is right) and asked him to join me in prayer about a name that I gave to him. He called back to tell me, "but God already showed you in your dream". I was shocked and the rest is history.

How important would you say attraction is in the grand scheme of marriage? And were you attracted to your husband from the onset? How did that play out?

I will say attraction is very important, but not the most important. The Bible said "see, I have set before you…" The power of what we see is very important. No, I initially wasn't attracted to him because of his height, although he is good looking.

I told myself, if God chose him for me, I must learn to love him.

During our courtship, he didn’t have an apartment, no car. I honestly was questioning the whole thing, like, this is suffering looking at me in the face, but each time I had a need, I would tell God, "You gave me this man, you must sort us". And He always did. We have never been stranded.

I wish I had waited and not dated the guy I dated after receiving the word. Waiting is not easy, but it is worth it.

A note to the struggling Christian

Finally, what would you say to someone in a similar situation. Something you wished you had known then.

I am number 5 of a family of 6, and I noticed a trend in their relationship that I didn’t like. I told myself I could choose to follow suit, or change the narrative. With the help of God, it was changed for me. They all got married at 35, but I didn’t. I want to encourage someone, whatever you don’t want, you can change with the help of God.

Relationship should be enjoyed, and you can.

Anything you would like to say to our community?

In this fast paced world where the definition of everything is twisted, it is our duty as children of God to set the standard for the world. The foundation of the Lord stands sure having this seal, let everyone that names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.

If you enjoyed reading this, please share this interview with a friend or two.

Till next time, stay thriving and trusting!

If you would love to join a bunch of believers who are walking in God's original design for relationships, click here. I would be delighted to have you join us. I'd very much love to share my experience with you, and connect with you. You can reach me here.


Comments

  1. This is a refreshing story.. Many times, we have a "type" of man and woman we want but God made them all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God made them all, and He happens to know us better than we know ourselves. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. Whatever you don't want, you can change with the help of God....wordddd!!!🙌🏾 Thanks for the inspiring story sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just reminds of a sermon that says "rip up the list". And wait on God's list and follow his list. we all have lists of things that we want, person we want to marry, how much you want to have before getting married, Blabla plans that we make and funny thing is alot of them are influenced by other people's life, opinion and all sorts leaving God aside. We now make God our last resort when our list isn't working out or looking like what we want. Thank you for sharing this story, alot to learn from different angles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I absolutely love Pastor Mike Todd! It's okay to set standards but they must be based on the Bible, not lists based on other people's lives like you said. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. Very interesting and insightful story. "If God chose him for me, I must learn to love him"...Uncomfortable but doable.

    Thanks for sharing❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TO THE STRUGGLING CHRISTIAN

ACCOUNTABILITY IN CHRISTIAN RELATIONSHIPS